In Northeast Ohio, April showers bring May flowers – and tornados. Be ready for anything this year with these tips from ServiceMaster Restoration by Lewis Construction.
Tornado and storm safety
Severe thunderstorms and tornados can appear frequently and suddenly during the spring and early summer. These storms may bring dangerous lightning, large hail, and high wind. In the most severe cases, tornados will form along these weather fronts, bringing violently rotating wind that destroy everything in their paths.
In Ohio, an average 19 tornados will be confirmed in any given year, and while many are EF0 or EF1, even a “weak” tornado is dangerous if you are in a vulnerable position. Preparation and the ability to get to safe shelter quickly can be crucial to ensure your family’s safety.
Recognize the signs of a tornado:
- A dark and/or greenish colored sky
- A low, funnel-shaped cloud (you may be able to see the rotation)
- Large hail
- Airborne debris
- A loud roar (often described as a train whistle)
Have a plan for your family:
- Educate family members on signs of a tornado and heed weather reports when conditions are right for a tornado.
- Designate your safe place – a basement, below-ground shelter, or interior room without windows.
- Have furniture cushions or blankets available to provide additional cover during the storm.
- Compile a list of emergency shelters in your area should you or a family member need to seek shelter when away from home.
- If you or a family member has special needs, register your name and address with your local police or fire department.
- NEVER take shelter in a mobile home and avoid shelters with large glass windows, large rooms or hallways, and wide roof spans.
ServiceMaster Restore can help
Our team of recovery experts is available to respond to your call after a severe storm or tornado. We recommend the following if you have been the victim of a tornado or severe storm in Akron or the surrounding area.
- Call 911 if you are trapped in your home or by downed power lines.
- Do not attempt to enter your damaged home until emergency workers have deemed it safe.
- Contact your insurance company to report your loss.
- Contact ServiceMaster Restoration’s 24-7 emergency services.
- Photograph damage as you are able to safely.
The ServiceMaster emergency team in Akron, Ohio is your best resource for protecting your home from further damage after a storm and for restoring your home to its pre-storm condition. Our expertise covers all storm damage, including wind and hail damage, rainwater and flood damage, and structural damage due to wind and debris. Our services include tarping and securing your property, estimates and full support for your insurance claim, and complete storm damage recovery for your Akron area home.
If you need restoration services for storm, flood, fire, or other natural disaster, contact ServiceMaster Restoration today. Rely on us for all our restoration services, including mold remediation, fabric and carpet cleaning, hoarding, and vandalism cleanup.